Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Definition of a Man

I am not what most people would call "butch." Don't get me wrong - I'm not a flaming rainbow boi, but I know I could be "manlier." However, as I've aged and experienced, I've learned a few things about masculinity that have helped make me secure in the man I see in the mirror:

*A man is mature. He takes responsibilities for his actions, and is accountable for his performance. He can see through perspective beyond his own, and is willing to change his mind when he's wrong.

*A man is respectable. He earns respect by giving it. He is fair in all of his interactions with others. He treats people the way they want to be treated, not just the way he wants to be treated. He is honorable, honest, and good. He takes care of the things he loves, and the people he loves even more.

*A man is humble. He understands that he does not hold complete control, and is submissive to his loving God. He is grateful for what he has, and works hard for things to come.

With this kind of understanding of what true masculinity is all about, I have had next to no trouble interacting and befriending even the manliest of heterosexuals. Some of my closest buds are construction workers, military officers, engineers, hip hop stars, firefighters, etc. We share those common traits I described above, which gives us a lot in common. We find ways to relate to each other easily, and 80 percent of them know about me. They love me, and are physically affectionate with me. We hug each other upon greeting and departure, and tell each other we love the other. They need the positive effects of the physical and emotional touch of another man just as much as I do.

Some may say I'm just extremely fortunate, and they're right - I am very blessed. However, I think that I relate to so many guys despite myself because I exude the confidence that everyone wants to have, even if I have to fake it sometimes. I am happy for the friends I have, these wonderful people who encourage me to be myself, and still love me after meeting all of me.

No comments: