Sunday, June 28, 2009

Pride

About a month ago, a friend asked me to save today on my schedule so I could go to Pride in Seattle. It was going to be an educational experience for me because, though I've been out for quite a few years, I've never actually been to Pride before. He thought it would serve me well to go and honor the gays that came before me that helped open the eyes of the world to acceptance of men like me, like Harvey Milk and other people I fail to remember.

Then I found out that this weekend was our Multi-Regional YSA Conference. I thought I'd book myself for the conference on Friday and Saturday, and go to Pride on Sunday. I wrestled a little with the decision until my bishop called and asked me to teach Sunday School today. It was over - no Pride for me.

A very funny thing happened, though: over the last week, as I prepared the lesson for the class today, I kept getting little prickles from the Spirit. The lesson was about apostasy in the church, and how to fortify yourself against it. I was impressed to share my life openly again with this class. I was very nervous about this, but I knew that if I could do it once, I could do it again.

I remember looking out at the crowd today as I played the organ during the meeting. The entire chapel was full, and so was the overflow. Half of the gym was full as well. We had somewhere around 400 people today, from all over the state and parts of British Columbia. I was asked to teach in the chapel. Many people filed out of the chapel after Sacrament was over to attend other classes, but we still managed to fill the entire chapel for Sunday School. I was still nervous...

I spent a good deal of time this morning praying for the Spirit's aid today. Along the way, I randomly met an LDS family living near me, on their way to church. I took it as a good sign. At church, I continued to pray for help. As the opening prayer to class was spoken, I prayed for one last burst of strength. God's so good: we had an awesome lesson. The class was upbeat, and everyone was very helpful, and insightful, and inquisitive. I really enjoyed it.

At the end of the class, after we had talked about things like pride, getting offended, lacking in testimony, judging others, and other reasons why people leave the church, and counter-balancing them with a list of things to do to battle them like personal scripture study, praying often, obeying the commandments, and so on (I know, they're so simple, I love this list!), it came time to close the class. We had laughed a lot, and chatted amiably for so long, I felt pretty comfortable. I asked the class if I could get personal. I proceeded to tell them of my life at 19, coming to terms with being gay, and going through the process of repenting after making some unfortunate decisions. I told them about two friends I have, and of the experience of watching one of them take offense, and leaving the church; and the other who built a relationship with his savior, and is still here reaping the blessings that come from doing so. I chose the latter path, and was taught by him and others in my life who loved me so much that they were there for me. Now, 7 years later, I'm still here, and I'm deeply blessed because of that experience.

After the closing prayer, I received an overwhelmingly positive reaction to the class. One boy thanked me for my testimony, and told me of his own struggles with SSA, and his 5 year excommunication from the church. He's been back for 2 years now, and he's happier than ever. Another guy told me about a friend of his whom he thinks is lonely, and needs support from another guy like him, dealing with SSA, and asked if he could give his friend my number. One girl ran up to me, and gave me a hug, telling me how brave I was. Another hugged me as she cried. I couldn't believe it! We are so scared, for so long, to share our plight with people because we think the outcome will be bad. I experienced the complete opposite. I even had many beautiful, manly heteros that thanked me for the lesson. One told me that he admired people with guts, and that I had guts! Another told me it was the best lesson he'd ever had, and that he wished more people were open like that in church, because it invited the Spirit in for stronger and more meaningful bonds and experiences.

I am so grateful for this experience. I think it's ironic that I almost missed it because I was going to go educate myself on the gay world, and instead, I had the opportunity to provide one for so many Mormon kids inside the chapel of God.

6 comments:

JonJon said...

Wow, this post is so timely for me. I live in Portland and we are having a regional YSA conference in a couple of weeks. I'm supposed to teach the priesthood lesson. So did you not get any negative feedback from the lesson? Were there any leaders in the class? You are brave, my friend!

Bravone said...

EJ, you never cease to amaze me. What a beautiful experience. This is truly how the hearts and minds of members of the church will be changed. I think it is best accomplished by those who are able to effect change from within, such as you have done. You are an inspiration to me.

Original Mohomie said...

Would've been fun to see you, but apparently you had more meaningful places to be. :-) I'm glad the class went well. Sometimes, there's negative backlash in the longer run after the hugs and compliments, but even so, I think humble authenticity is in far too short a supply in most cultures, the church's included, and I wish more people would be open where appropriate about their own lives rather than so often resorting to cryptic language and vague references. *wink*

Unknown said...

Are you curious to have seen what Pride would have been like? Although its usually just a lot of shirtless guys and drag queens....

Church is a much safer choice!

EJ said...

Jon: 3 weeks before this incident, my brand new bishop of a week sat in on my Sunday School class, and I shared my story with the class that day as well. I had no negative reaction from anyone that day, and haven't had any from members of the class since. It helped give me the courage to do it again this past weekend, and I'm glad it went well. Thanks! Good luck with the Priesthood lesson! I've read your blog, and I'm sure whatever you do, the Spirit will be there, and you'll be able to organically teach those men what they need :)

Bravone: You are wonderful, and you've been nothing but a positive, motivating force since we've met. Thank you, you have strengthened and inspired me!

OMoho: For some reason, I thought you lived in Utah?! It would have been nice to see you, too; we don't need Pride to hang, though. I'll try to set up a MoHo night or something. And though I would tend to agree about the long term effects on people, I haven't received any from the first class yet, and I'm hoping that means I'll have little to none from the second. And I guess I'm too old to care anymore if I receive flack :) Cryptic language and vague references, you're so funny~

Quinn: Haha, that's what I tell my friends every year! And why I've never been! But I was guilted into it this year because of a passionately political friend who meant well. I was sorta sad I couldn't make it for his sake more than mine. Meh~

smeltzer family said...

Junior it doesn't cease to amase me what a great person you are and always have been. I am glad that you've been able to be open with everyone and continue to flourish in the gospel. I do love you ... tell your family I say hi and how much i miss them