Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Google Me

I did, just for fun... and I found a poem I wrote back in 2001, just two days after the terrorist attack on the Twin Towers. It's kinda crazy... it's a poem I wrote to friends and family, and sent over an email. At the time, I was a freshman in college, far away for the first time from family and friends, and only on my 13th day in a place I was still growing accustomed to. I was very scared, but that was not something I displayed to my loved ones. It's still a guilty habit of mine: to always have to be the strong one, to never lose composure in front of others, to push everyone forward past the pain of life.

Anyhow, a couple days after I sent the email, I received it back from a completely different friend, who had received it from someone else. I checked the progress it had made, and realized that everyone had passed it on, like a chain letter that was being shared around the world. It was weird! I got it back a few more times after that. I didn't remember ever putting my name to the poem, either, but somehow I was given credit for it. Now it's published on a random poetry site, and it's received nearly 50,000 hits! I can't believe it, I've never even heard of this site! And it says it wasn't copywrited until 2005, 4 years after I originally wrote it.

In case you're interested in the poem, and don't want to bother googling me (but why wouldn't you?!), here's the poem. Please don't laugh too hard:


Love Is Living


This is for my friends everywhere
Who may now find themselves in the midst of despair
Because of the shameful acts of hate
That destroyed so much within the last two days.
Brother, sister, neighbor, friend,
Let us all remember when
"Love one another" said Jesus Christ
Including those that we despise.
Our enemies need our love the most
For it is hate that they do host.
So if you can find it in your heart,
Please forgive our counterparts.
Not all Palestinians act that way,
Only the radicals that on TV were displayed.
Please, instead, focus your energy
To the positive rebounding of our beloved country.
I ask that you join in the thousands that mourn
In prayer for the thousands in pain and scorn.
Help to find some kind of relief
In the midst of all these sad happenings.
That God will bless the ones who keep
On the search for people buried under the rubble deep.
And that families of the victims find
Some justice in their own due time.
I do pray for all of you within my reach
That you're faith in God you all do keep.
For it's our duty as surviving saints
To remember the tragedy of last Tuesday
So we can all better defend
Against the evil that will come again.
This time, we'll be prepared to fight
The hate with all our loving might.
For the truth is: the true battle's between love and hate
I pray that love will dominate.
Please pass this on to whom you feel
May need some love, may need to heal.
For it is with love this to you is given;
Please share this love, for love is living.

5 comments:

Bravone said...

EJ, This is awesome! I didn't realize you had poetic talents. I have always aspired to write a hymn. I'm not sure why. Poems and hymns just seem to pull feelings from the heart.

Thanks for sharing, and yes I am going to Google you. Will you make it through my internet filter? :)

Love you EJ,
Bravone

Ty & Makamae said...

Isn't that crazy??? I did google you, and this poem did indeed pop up. Though you never sent this to me our freshman year in college. Can you believe that was like almost 8 years ago???? CRAZY. We're getting old.

EJ said...

Haha thanks B. I can't wait to hear the hymn you write. I'm sure it's going to be a marvelous work of art!

Mak, I don't think I even knew you yet when I wrote that poem. Now, nearly 8 years later, I feel like I've known you my whole life! Time flies, man~

Trevor Holms Petersen said...

Thats beautiful!

EJ said...

Thanks Holms! So are you!!